There are three things I’m scared of in life. Tsunamis, heights, and sinkholes…yep, it’s weird, but true. So when I was faced with the notion of combining all 3 fears at once, what did I do? I said, “hell yeah, let’s do this!”
I decided it was high time I conquered my fear of heights, whilst zip-lining 30 metres above the forest floor over a giant sinkhole in the beautiful Otway Ranges. So, where does the tsunami come into play? That would be the tidal wave of fear that crossed my mind when I jumped off the launching pad into the giant towering mountain ash below!
Such a rush!
Within minutes, the fear had dissipated into thin air and was quickly replaced with adrenalin fuelled fun and pure exhilaration!
Nothing can prepare you for this awesome experience. The sense of freedom as you fly through the treetops, the rush of excitement as you glide along the forest floor with the wind in your hair, surrounded by the lush green ferns and sounds of the rainforest birds.
It is really quite something else.
I felt safe, empowered and surprisingly invincible as I jumped off each of the eight cloud stations – Tarzan ain’t got nothing on me!
How to get there
Otway Fly Treetop Adventures is located in a rainforest adjacent to the Otway’s premier waterfall destination, Triplet Falls.
By car: Approximately 2.5 hours from Melbourne via the Princess Highway through Colac, Gellibrand and through the stunning otway forests. Alternaitvely, you can make your way along the famous Great Ocean Road through the coastal townships of Anglesea, Lorne, and Apollo Bay, which takes about 3.5 hours.
For those of you located in New South Wales, you dont have to miss out! Illawarra Fly Zipline is located on the South Coast of NSW and provides an almost identical experience!
- Did you know there are only five canopy walkways in Australia! They are: the llawarra Fly Treetop Walk, Southern Highlands NSW; Otway Fly Treetop Walk, Great Ocean Rd Victoria; Tahune Airwalk, Tahune State Forest Tasmania; Valley of the Giants Treetop Walk, Walpole-Nornalup National Park Western Australia; and Mamu Rainforest Walk in Queensland.
- The Otway Fly Treetop walk is 600 metres long with an average height of 30 metres on the walkway.
- The Spiral Tower is 47 metres high.
- The Treetop walk can withstand 280km/hr winds.
- The cantilevers can hold a maximum weight of 28 tonne or 14 Elephants!
- The Otway Fly Zip Line Tour is the first Zip Line Tour in Victoria, a unique eco-wilderness adventure that takes place in the magnificent Otways rainforest.
- Visitors will see the trees and forest in a new light and learn about our growing and vibrant forests and when you come back to ground, you will walk on to and enjoy the Otway Fly Treetop Walk
What you’ll do
Take the leap!
The zipline tour is 2.5 hours with the first hour covering off on safety and simulation tactics and then before long you’re zipping through the towering mountain ash at speeds of up to there are 6 zip lines, 8 cloud stations (giant airborne platforms to stagger the journey) and 2 suspension bridges to cross.
For the more cautious
While you are there, don’t forget to spend a few hours meandering through the treetops on the longest and tallest elevated treetop walk of its kind in the world. At 600 metres long and 30 metres above ground level, you can marvel at the spectacular scenery below and admire the gentle sway of the giant mountain ash.
A 45 metre high lookout is also worth the climb up a spiral stairway and a great way for the kids to burn off some excess energy! At the top you will emerge amongst the crowns of the giants of the forest, whilst the springboard cantilever bounces precariously high over picturesque Young’s Creek.
For the thrill seeker the Otway Fly Zip Line Tour is the perfect adrenalin fuelled activity where you can Zip across the treetops in this unique forest experience, gaining a bird’s-eye view of Otway’s beautiful forests. This exciting adventure lasts 2.5 hours and is unlike any other experience. The cost of the Zip Line Tour includes the Treetop Walk. Otway Fly Treetop Adventures experiences include:
- The gentle grade Treetop Walk and multi level canopy experience
- Zip Line Tour
- A bird’s eye view of native plants and wildlife
- A self-guided interpretive trail
- Visitors Centre
- Souvenir shop
- Licensed Cafe – seasonal menus available throughout the year
- Indoor and outdoor dining
- Educational walks
What to bring
- Comfortable clothing with closed shoes for the ziplining.
- Warm clothing as it gets pretty cold in the rainforest.
- A keen sense of adventure!
- Be sure to allow half a day at least to really experience this amazing attraction. Allow 2.5 hours total for the zipline and at least 1.5 hours for the Treetop Walk.
- The Treetop Walk is suited for families with kids of any age
- There is a height restriction for Ziplining and kids have to be a minimum 125cm tall and all kids under 13 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Maximum weight of 120kgs fully clothed.
- All children under 13yrs need to be accompanied on the tour by an adult.
- Ziplining is suitable for anyone who loves adrenalin and heights!
- Bookings are essential for the ziplining tour.